Chesham United
Starting Line-Up
Allen (McConway 78)
Little (Wood 75)
Thomas (Harris 67)
Unused subs
The Evo-Stik League Southern Premier
The Corinium Stadium
Kick Off
Laird 2, Yetton 29
Chesham Utd
Allen 16, Smith 45+1, 59
Thomas 47, Fenton 57
Beasant 63, Harris 90+2
Evans, Laird
Chesham Utd
Allen, Thomas
Sent Off
Chesham Utd
Starting Line-Up
J Matthews
Evans (Colwell 52)
R Matthews
Kelly (Copp 67)
Shephard (Fiddes 67
Unused subs

10-man Weymouth thumped in Meadow mauling
By Dan Rose

IT was misery on the road yet again for the 10-man Terras, as they crumbled in what was a second-half massacre at the Meadow against Chesham United.

With Weymouth defender Calvin Brooks sent off, the Generals levelled things up at 2-2 just before half-time and came out of the blocks at a rapid pace during the opening 20 minutes of the second period, which proved too hot to handle for the visitors.

With no Tim Sills in his squad, manager Jason Matthews rewarded midfielder Dean Evans with his first start for the club, after an impressive debut off the bench last time out against Cirencester.

His introduction meant that Chris McPhee was advanced higher up the pitch in a more attacking role, and with their first chance of the contest, the Terras were in dreamland.

After winning a corner out of almost nothing, Chris Shephard’s delivery eventually found defender Jamie Laird, who spun and slotted the ball past Shane Gore in the Generals’ goal to draw first blood.

Adam Kelly then did his best to make it two in what was a blistering opening for the away side, his fierce strike flew just wide.

Evans was then cautioned, and moments later, Laird nearly doubled his tally for the afternoon. McPhee was brought down and the resulting free-kick from Shephard found the former Weston-super-Mare skipper, who powerfully headed just over the top.

But, with their first attack of the afternoon, the Generals dug in to unearth a leveller and it was Luke Allen who put the ball past goalkeeper Matthews on 16 minutes, after he was put through by captain Simon Thomas.

New signing Evans then found himself fairly fortunate to remain on the field.

Having already been booked, he gave away another clumsy foul and was surrounded by the Generals, but the match official eventually waved away protests of a second caution.

The Terras then regained their lead just short of the half hour mark as Stewart Yetton, whose last league goal came in the reverse fixture between the sides earlier in the month, was well positioned to strike into the net after a goal-mouth scramble in the Generals’ area, following another troublesome corner from Shephard.

A goal up during a first half that seemed to have everything, Weymouth’s Calvin Brooks then saw red.

An altercation with Chesham’s Toby Little caused the 20-year-old to react, and give the referee no choice but to brandish the card and give him an early bath.

And after losing a man, Matthews’ troops were then hit by a monumental blow just before half-time.

Despite getting a hand to the effort, the Weymouth keeper could do nothing to thwart Ashley Smith’s shot to equalise and in-turn completely change his team-talk at the break.

But whatever the player-manager said at the interval could not stop Thomas catching Weymouth out two minutes into the second half, in what was the start of Chesham’s second-half romp.

A neat move down the right hand side saw the ball drilled into the Terras’ box, and the Generals’ captain slid in to put his side ahead for the first time.

From there the hosts never looked back. Allen then nearly added a fourth, just before Weymouth wisely swapped Evans for Steve Colwell.

But that couldn’t stop Chesham adding a quick-fire double to wrap the game up as a contest just short of the hour mark.

Goalkeeper Matthews was fuming with the officials after he felt he was impeded in the build up to Chesham’s fourth goal, but no decision was made allowing Ryan Fenton to find the net.

And with protests still simmering, the home side then made it five through Smith as the Terras were left shell-shocked on their travels once again.

With Weymouth well on the ropes, it then didn’t take ruthless Chesham too long to score their sixth of the afternoon, through Nick Beasant on this occasion.

Colwell attempted to add some impetus as his cross narrowly evaded Yetton, just after Jordan Copp and Alec Fiddes were introduced by Weymouth in place of Shephard and Kelly.

Fiddes then jinked into the box and hit the ball across goal which was touched by Gore, as the visitors looked to gain some credibility.

With the game well and truly gone for the away team, McPhee then tried his luck as he brought the ball down and his strike whistled just over.

But to heap more misery on the visitors, substitute Jack Harris produced a surging run to beat Matthews once more to make it 7-2 in the dying moments.

The result also mean that Weymouth are still yet to record a point on the road in 2015.

Chesham: Gore, Smith, Cundy, Fenton, Beasant, Allen (McConway 78), Talbot, Little (Wood 75), Blake, Thomas (Harris 67), Pearce. Subs not used: Bell, Hippolyte.

Terras: J Matthews, Brooks, Martin, Evans (Colwell 52), Laird, Matthews, Kelly (Copp 67), Rigg, Yetton, McPhee, Shephard (Fiddes 67). Sub not used: Jevon

Dorset Echo

Similar Posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *