Hitchin Town
Starting Line-Up
Unused subs
The Evo-Stik League Southern Premier
Top Field
Kick Off
Hitchin Town
McNamara 79
Hitchin Town
Sent Off
Hitchin Town
A Dale
Starting Line-Up
Copp (Osei-Obengo 74)
Sills (Yetton 64)
Shephard (Molesley 46)
Unused subs

Evans shown red as Weymouth fall short

WEYMOUTH’S chances of making the play-off spots were dealt a vital blow as, having to play more than an hour with 10 men, they were narrowly beaten at Hitchin Town.

Dean Evans was sent off after 27 minutes at Top Field for a second bookable offence and, although the Terras had their chances, they succumbed to Jonny McNamara’s winner just 11 minutes from time.

With the clash being the only game in the Evo-Stik Southern Premier Division on the day, the Terras went into the contest knowing a win would put them back into the play-off spots and above the Canaries in the league table.

With striker Ben Thomson ruled out of the Weymouth squad through injury, a rare start was handed to player-assistant Tim Sills, who notched the winner at Hungerford on Monday.

There was also a place among the substitutes for new recruit, Sebastian Osei-Obengo, who joined the club after a short period with Dumbarton in a deal which fell through due to registration problems.

After picking up an early caution for a clash with Brett Donnelly in a feisty opening, Weymouth’s Dean Evans escaped a second booking with just 10 minutes gone after he went in hard on Hitchin’s McNamara.

After the contest settled, it was the Terras that carved out the first real chance as Jordan Copp saw his volley deflect wide. At the other end, claims for a penalty had been waved away by the referee after Mason Spence advanced and took a tumble in the area – he also had to be replaced through injury.

But it was Evans who continued to be in the thick of it and, after 27 minutes, he was cautioned once again and sent off after one rash challenge too many – the resulting free-kick forced a good save from Matthews.

Despite the numerical disadvantage, the Terras almost took the lead just before the break. Chris Shephard let fly with an effort from inside the Canaries’ box but it was straight at keeper Charlie Horlock. That was to be one of Shephard’s last acts as he was replaced by Mark Molesley at half-time.

Matthews was called into action after the break to deny Donnelly after he headed at goal from Luke Kirkpatrick’s ball in.

Weymouth’s Sills then went close with a header before he was replaced by Stewart Yetton 10 minutes later, Osei-Obengo made his Terras’ debut after replacing Copp.

But the decisive strike then came as Hitchin’s McNamara ran on to a through ball and slotted past Matthews to net what proved to be the winner.

In search of a response, Calvin Brooks then hit the ball into Horlock’s clutches but the Terras’ opportunity of moving into the top five went begging.

Dorset Echo

Similar Posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *