Robinson, Jackson


THE highest Dr Martens Southern Division crowd this season saw an invigorated Weymouth side power to victory over league leaders Chelmsford City.

New signings Mark Robinson and Mark Jackson became instant favourites with the 870 fans at the Wessex Stadium with a goal apiece in the highly entertaining clash.

It was the Terras’ best performance of the campaign so far and everyone on the field played a valuable part in the confidence-boosting victory.

Manager John Crabbe commented after the game: “It was an excellent win and l’m very pleased with the way we played.

“It was a real team effort and the new players fitted in very quickly and effectively.”

Darren Powell showed the team’s intentions soon after the kick-off when he blasted the ball just over the crossbar. Then on 10 minutes City keeper Lee Ballard made his first of many remarkable saves, punching a curling David Laws effort to safety.

Debutant Jackson got the crowd on his side soon after when he forced his way through the visiting defence only to go down in a last gasp tackle which the referee decided was a clean one.

Chelmsford’s best effort in the Weymouth dominated first half came in the last minute when Garry Kimble’s long hopeful ball into the box was snaffled by Paul Myers a fraction before it was due to make contact with Sean Campbell’s head.

But Weymouth continued to shovel on the pressure after the break and gained their just rewards in the 50th minute with a well-worked goal which even the heroic Ballard could not prevent.

Mark Boulton created the chance when he slipped the ball cleverly between two dozing Chelmsford defenders, Laws hared in from the right to fire it across the goalmouth and Jackson crowned an impressive debut by leaping up to volley it home.

Weymouth’s Player of the Month for September Alex Browne gave a fine example of his recent good form when he headed a threatening cross from Campbell to safety under great pressure.

And City came close to equalising on the hour when Lee Guiver sent the woordwork shuddering with a dramatic overhead kick.

In the 69th minute Jackson suffered a groin injury and left the pitch to the sound of loud applause from the appreciative crowd and two minutes later with Nick Flory in his place Weymouth grabbed their second strike, Robinson heading home his third goal in two games from a pinpoint Laws cross.

Chelmsford substitute Oliver Berquez grabbed a consolation goal on 85 minutes but it was not enough to save his side from their first league defeat of the season.

Weymouth: Myers, Powell, Boulton, Bowne, Bradford, Mason, Robinson, Hutchinson, Jackson (N Flory 69), Laws, Housley.

Unused Subs: Watkins, Greeno.

Attendance: 870

Similar Posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *