Trowbridge fail to stop Terras progress

8,500 see thrill-packed game won in extra time

IN A GAME more full of incident than any seen at the Recreation Ground for more than a season, Weymouth qualified for the First Round Proper of the F.A. Cup by eliminating Trowbridge 2-0.

The turning point of a fast and exciting match in which both teams served up splendid play before a “gate” of 8,526, a record for the ground, came ten minutes after extra time when Gallacher scored from a penalty. Andersen added a second to give Weymouth a well deserved victory.

Weymouth’s defence, with Gallacher dropping back to left-half in place of Horleck, who was indisposed,put up its best performance of the season, but the forwards were poor marksman.

The home side quickly played themselves right into the game and their attractive and constructive football had the Trowbridge defence worried. Backed up by splendid wing halves they displayed admirable approach work, but except for a difficult ground shot from Gallacher, Vince in the Trowbridge goal was not severely tested early on.

Defenders had been flattered by forwards who could not shoot mainly because they were too eager and erratic.

Trowbridge whose defence refused to panic were full of fight and although their forwards were not so methodical, their quick thrusts threatened danger. Abrahams, the schemer of their attack, looked a certain scorer, but Summerbee dispossessed him a few yards from the goal to provide one of the many thrills.


The Trowbridge goal also had a very lucky escape when Vince pushed out his foot to deflect a full blooded drive from Pickett for a corner. Vince ran out to rescue his backs a couple of times and figured in a curious incident-when he knocked himself out.

There were some lively exchanges with most chances coming the way of Weymouth, but they failed to make use of them. Both Jennings and Vince were sound goalkeepers. Anderson and Greenland were almost blotted out of the game by Tuck and Lawes, and the game developed into a defensive battle with Surnmerbee and Gavin outshining Sheppard and Welch.

Highlights of the second half, during which Trowbridge enjoyed a greater share of the game were brilliant saves by Jennings of shots from Eisentrager, Abrahams and Long, and the’ clever solo efforts or McGowan, who switched with Hamer. He made several openings, from one of which Pickett blazed the ball over the bar from close range.


Then came extra time with the cheers of the Trowbridge supporters drowned by those of the home fans. Ten minutes later Pickett, working towards the left of the penalty area, was brought down by Sheppard. Gallacher scored from the spot, but was ordered to re-take the kick. He again easily beat Vince with a ground shot, Trowbridge wilted under subsequent-pressure and Vince thrilled the crowd with same daring saves.

Pickett’s drive hit the post and Anderson returned the rebound into the net for Weyrnouth‘s second goal. Vince, Pitney. Pickett, Jennings and Long all had to receive attention from the trainers during a keenly fought struggle.

Jesse Hansford the Trowbridge skipper, played a fine game against his old club.

Weymouth: Jennings, Sumerbee, Gavin, Pitney, Lawes, Gllacher, Redfern, Pickett, Anderson, Hamer, McGowan.

Similar Posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *