THREE goals in the last, ten minutes saw Weymouth over-come the challenge of plucky Ryman Division One North minnows Aveley at a rain-swept Millfield Road.

But don’t be fooled by the score-line. This was anything but a stroll in the park for the Terras.

In fact, if Aveley duo Jimmy Stevens and Neil Lacey had kept their mouths shut, it probably would have been the Essex side in today’s FA Trophy second round draw, not Geoff Butler’s.

Both were sent off for dissent during a crazy four-minute spell either side of half-time, although it took Weyrnouth until the 80th minute to make the most of their two-man numerical advantage.


Lee Phillips eventually saved the Dr Martens Premier Division side’s blushes, with Marc Whiteman and Julian Charles giving the score an ounce of respectability in the closing stages.

But rest assured, the Terras got themselves out of jail following what can only be described as a shambolic first half performance.

Weymouth huffed and puffed without reward during the opening exchanges and it was Aveley who took a shock lead on 13 minutes.

A corner from the left fell to Steve Dickenson and he flicked the ball up for Danny Curran to head past a stranded Jason Matthews.


The visitors enjoyed plenty of possession against their robust opponents, however they failed to make any impression in front of goal.

Ryan Ashford nodded a decent chance way over the crossbar while Phillips was thwarted on a couple of occasions by alert home gloveman, Darren Smith.

The Terras then walked a tight rope during the closing minutes of the first period with Matthews pulling off a finger-tip save to deny Carl Allison’s dipping shot from range.

Moments later Curran flashed an effort against the bar, but it was Matthew Hale who rescued the visitors when he raced back to clear off the line after Curran’s chip had evaded the advancing Matthews.

With the interval beckoning, Aveley suffered a massive blow when referee Steve Pryor produced a straight red card following a verbal protest by Stevens.

Weymouth began to assert themselves after the break and they were thrown a lifeline when substitute Whiteman was brought down in the penalty area by Lacey Mr Prior immediately pointed to the spot and Lacey was the next to receive his marching orders for questioning the official’s decision.


Up stepped Mark Rawlinson to fire the Terras level, much to the relief of their travelling fans amongst a miserly gate of just 74.

Whiteman and Simon Browne were both foiled by Smith as the visitors Went searching for a winner, but the Aveley custodian could do nothing to prevent Phillips breaking the deadlock ten minutes from time.

Charles set it up with a shot following a 50-yard run out of defence which was blocked by Smith and the former Plymouth Argyle striker was on hand to turn the loose ball into an empty net.

With Aveley going all out for an equaliser, great big gaps began to appear in their defence, which Whiteman exploited with a stinging drive following a blistering 60-yard run on 88 minutes.

Then deep into injury time, Charles wrapped it up with a simple tap-in after some good approach work by Ashford.

Weymouth: Matthews, Tully, Hale, A Browne, S Browne, Ashford, Hutchinson, Lamb, Charles, Phillips.

Subs: Whiteman, Sajic, Critchell

Subs not used: Kenway, Dean

Attendance: 74

Similar Posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *