HOW quickly things can change in Dr Martens League football.

Last week, Terras boss Andy Mason was struggling to field a side due to chronic injury problems.

But with the crooked list now shortening, he’s been handed a selection poser ahead of next Sunday’s FA Trophy clash with Yeovil Town.

Mason received a boost following this Premier Division win at Cecil Street with news that top marksman David Laws came through the whole 90 minutes with no reaction to his recent knee injury

And with the current good form of Peter Knox and Anthony Tilley, he has plenty to occupy his mind before Sunday Weymouth produced a slick display of passing football in treacherous conditions to complete their maiden double of the season and their first victory in six matches.

But the visitors supremacy was only underlined in the second period when superb strikes from Knox and Tilley halted their recent slump in form.

ln the opening half they were kicking down the notorious Rothwell slope, and despite being the away side they took the game to the Northamptonshire outfit early.

Within the opening 15 minutes both Tilley and Laws had opportunities to open the scoring.

Tilley‘s deflected shot was pushed wide by home keeper John Hughes and Laws failed to connect with Knox’s pass when in a dangerous position.

The Bones, who never really troubled Danny Potter in goal, created their first real opportunity midway through the first half as Gary Cook was prevented from firing home through a lunging tackle by inspirational skipper Alex Browne.

But despite this close call the Terras continued to look dangerous going forward with Laws adding another dimension to their attacking play.

They continued to assert themselves, with the strings in midfield being pulled by Mason and the outstanding Tilley.

But even though Weymouth played neat football in the opening period, they failed to actually trouble Hughes.

It was a different story after the break for the visitors as they used their dominance to full effect.

And their non-stop pressure finally paid off on 57 minutes. A sweeping move involving Simon Browne led to a delightful backheel from Laws being thumped home by young Knox from 20 yards into the top right-hand corner.

It was no more than Knox deserved, as he worked tirelessly all afternoon and just moments later went close to increasing the lead.

The chances continued to come thick and fast for the Terras with Alex Browne’s header sailing wide on 69 minutes.

But two minutes later it with Tilley who capitalised on a surging run by Ian Hutchinson down the right side, his cool finish from close range seemingly sealing the points.

However, a lack of communication deep into injury time involving Alex Browne and Potter gifted the hosts a consolation chance, which was gratefully accepted by substitute Paul Hough.

Weymouth: Potter, Gammon (Wilmot 67min), Hare, A Browne, Waldock, S Browne, Tilley, Hutchinson, Knox, Laws, Mason.

Subs not used: Adcock, Vittles.

Attendance: 201


Similar Posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *