AFC Wimbledon 3-1 Weymouth – FA Cup First Round Replay 

By Matt Dunster

Weymouth fell just short of reaching the Second Round, as they were beaten 3-1 by AFC Wimbledon at Plough Lane in the First Round Replay, despite a spirited showing.

Weymouth came into the game making one change from the weekend’s first home league win of the season over Braintree. In came Luke Nippard for Cam Murray.

A nervy start from both sides, as neither team were able to get the ball down on the pitch as the ball spent much of the opening exchanges in the air, with both sides jostling for possession.

Assal nearly caught Oualah out with a shot from a tight angle on the left-hand side of the box, which gave the home side a corner on the 5th minute, which the Terras cleared comfortably.

The first good spell of possession for the Terras came 1o minutes in, as good play from McBurnie released Blair down the right hand side, his cross winning a corner. The corner lead to a scramble in the box that the home side manage to clear after several Weymouth shots at goal.

Soon after, there was more good play from Xander McBurnie and Tom Blair, who managed to find Brad Ash to drive at goal and get a low shot away for the home keeper Broome to save down to his left hand side.

A driving run from Kyprianou lead to a low shot from O’Connell from the left hand side, who had his shot saved by Broome, the rebound chance fell to Blair who failed to score from inside the box. A chance that looked harder to miss than score as he blazed it over the bar, 25 minutes into the game.

A good cross from substitute Biler, who replaced the injured Currie, is headed over Zaki Oualah’s goal by Harry Pell, in Wimbledon’s first real dangerous chance of the game, half an hour in.

Moments later, Xander McBurnie from 35 yards, hit the cross bar with a venomous shot at goal. It was a great ball from Blair, who played in Bearwish on the right, who cut the ball back to McBurnie, who spectacularly fired his effort towards goal, fizzing off the crossbar.

Dan Matsuzaka then made a great block, denying the home side a certain goal, after a long ball forward from the left flank, was cleared away for a Wimbledon corner that the Terras defend comfortably in the 44th minute.

A late spell of pressure from the home side with consecutive corners which the Terras defended well and go into the break with the scores level.

Early in the second half, McBurnie fizzed another shot just wide of the goal after great play from Blair.

But Wimbledon took the lead in the 48th minute as Weymouth switch off from a set piece as the lively Assal is played in and he curls a delicate finish around Zaki Oualah.

Weymouth respond well forcing the home keeper into an excellent save following a scramble in the box, with Blair’s cross eventually being forced out for a corner to the Terras.

The second half has started much like a basketball game with chances at either end of the pitch. Wimbledon missing an excellent chance at the back post from a corner that is headed wide of the goal, moments after Ahkeem Rose forced an excellent save out of Wimbledon keeper Broome.

However, AFC Wimbledon doubled their lead on the hour mark through a quick counter attack. A good cross into the box by the ever dangerous Assal is flicked on by Harry Pell and finished off at the back post by substitute Ethan Chislett.

In the 63rd minute, the home side scored their third of the game after some good one touch football around the box is again finished off by substitute Chislett. The third becoming the sucker punch for the Terras who will feel extremely hard done by following an excellent first half performance.

Brad Ash managed to pull a goal back for the Terras on 77 minutes, after an excellent cross from the dangerous Tom Blair from the right, picked out Ash at the back post, who looped the header over Broome’s head and into the back of the net.

84 minutes gone and Weymouth still pushing for another goal back. Wimbledon continued to look a threat on the counter attack but Carlyle and Matsuzaka defended well to nullify the counter attacks.

Wimbledon close out the final few minutes of the game to win 3-1. A valiant display by the Terras and a game of two halves, with first half chances by Weymouth not taken. AFC Wimbledon now go into the Second Round hosting National League Chesterfield, whilst the Terras move onto the FA Trophy, where they travel to face Worthing.

Similar Posts