Dorchester Town vs Weymouth



Terras in derby day dreamland as Goodship stuns Magpies



Goodship 90′

Brandon Goodship waited until the 90th minute to score his 20th goal of the season when he pounced on the rebound to give the Terras victory over Dorchester Town in the Boxing Day Ridgeway derby at the Avenue Stadium.

It sent his manager Mark Molesley sprinting down the touchline to join in the celebrations, but was arguably cruel on Dorchester keeper Kingsley Latham who had made four spectacular saves to keep his side level.

The third meeting between the two South Dorset rivals this season was heading for a goalless draw until Latham parried a Yemi Odubade shot straight into the path of Goodship, who was on hand to grab the late winner.

It was the only noticeable error that the Southampton loanee shot-stopper had made all game, but he will regret pushing the ball towards Goodship, who is now over halfway to bettering his tally of 38 goals last season.

In a keenly contested but clean derby, it was Dorchester who created the first chance of the game when just two minutes into the match, Harry Kite played in Ben Seymour, who uncharacteristically fired his shot high and out of the stadium.

Latham was forced to make his first of a series of good saves shortly after, Jake McCarthy sent a warning shot as he fired narrowly past the post before it was McCarthy again who found space and forced the Dorchester keeper into making a superb flying save.

The corners were coming thick and fast in the first half for the Terras, and twice they had their efforts from these set-pieces saved, first from a Josh Carmichael header and then from a Stephane Zubar effort.

Goodship came closest to opening the scoring when he rattled the inside of the bar after Ben Thomson’s relentless hard-work created the opportunity for the Weymouth frontman.

Jordan Seabright was called into action after 39 minutes, former Terra Antonio Diaz weaved through the Weymouth defence and unleashed an effort, but Seabright was there to push to ball away to safety.

Weymouth were soon rueing the woodwork again shortly before half-time, Calvin Brooks was brought down just outside the area and Josh Wakefield bent the resulting free-kick around the Dorchester wall but was denied by the upright.

Dorchester had their best chance of the game shortly after the restart, Sam Jackson’s cross beat both it’s intended target and Seabright to hit the inside of the far post and somehow bounce back out.

On 55 minutes, with Weymouth looking to launch a quick counter-attack, Cameron Murray found his way into the referee’s notebook for a cynical tackle on Abdulai Baggie. The resulting free-kick fell to Josh Carmichael, whose spectacular looping volley produced another fine save from Latham who tipped the ball over the bar.

Five minutes later it was Brooks’ turn for an acrobatic attempt, a well delivered cross from Baggie found Brooks in space at the far post, but the Weymouth right-back’s scissor-kicked volley went high and wide of the goal.

Brooks then turned provider when he whipped in a testing cross onto the head of Thomson, but Latham was there again to make another brilliant save.

Weymouth were then forced to withdraw Brooks, who was struggling with injury and brought on Jordan Ngalo, later Mark Molesley made a tactical change of bringing on Eastbourne Borough loanee Yemi Odubade for Wakefield.

Abdulai Baggie continued to dance his way through the Dorchester defence and with 13 minutes to play he dodged through a series of challenges but found himself running out of play at the vital moment.

Baggie had a chance to win the game for Weymouth, with a couple of minutes remaining, Thomson bullied his way through the Dorchester defence and pulled the ball back to the Sierra Leone winger, but Latham was there again to save the shot.

On 90 minutes, it was Goodship who sent the majority of the 2,217 attendance at the Avenue Stadium into delirium when he finally managed to find a way past Latham, who had parried Odubade’s shot into his path.

Weymouth remain second in the table and now turn their attention to table toppers Taunton Town, who they will play on Saturday 29th December (3pm kick-off) at the Viridor Stadium.

Dorchester: Latham, Egan (Blair 66), Martin, Rose, R Carmichael (Camp 78), Kite, Murray, Lowes, Seymour, Diaz (Winsper 83), Jackson.

Subs not used: Hutchings, Rodriguez.

Terras: Seabright, Brooks (Ngalo 74), Buckley, Zubar, Sherring, McCarthy, Wakefield (Odubade 80), J Carmichael, Thomson, Goodship, Baggie (Wells 90+5).

Subs not used: Thomas, Baker.

Referee: Lewis Sandoe (Carrick Garrison)

Attendance: 2,217


Date Time League Season
26th December 2018 1:00 pm Southern League Premier 2018/19


Avenue Stadium
B3147, Dorchester DT1, UK


Dorchester Town0Loss

KO 74 80 90 FT